Monday, September 17, 2007

A Touch of Autumn

Cooler weather always gives me that nostalgic feeling of playing tag after dark, trick-or-treat and high school football games- Missing those long summer days but longing for hot cocoa in front of crackling fires. It's happy and sad all at same time. We enjoyed a little of that cooler weather this weekend during a very sad time. It seemed fitting. King of Prussia is a beautiful place, I only wish to have experienced it under different circumstances. Both visits have been to attend the funerals of two extraordinary people, my husband's grandparents. They were kind, accepting, generous beyond measure and a whole lot of fun. They came into my life well after my own grandparents were gone and were terrific stand-ins.
I was especially close with my father's mother and was fortunate to have her and my grandad living two doors down during my childhood. What an awesome way to grow up! I still miss them. They were extraordinary people too.
But aren't I the lucky one to have had the pleasure of another set of grandparents! Nancy was much like my own grandma in personality and manner and I enjoyed the time I was able to spend with her. I loved having her for my boys as well. She was wonderful to them and they loved her immensely. I worried that since Nathan had been saying special prayers for her healing, her death would shake his faith. I needn't have. His prayers have changed to ask for Granny to have a good life in heaven and to thank God for the time we were able to spend with her.
Her funeral was lovely, the day bright and beautiful. Surrounded by family and friends, in death as she was in life. I am blessed to have had her in my life.

No comments: