Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Pale Yellow Goodness

***************************
A little of this...

(that says cream)



Add some of this...





And you get...


Homemade Butter!!!!!

My first attempt at homemade butter, and I think it went pretty well. I may have added a little too much salt to the rinse water but for my premier pat, it's not bad. We've been very fortunate to find a local source for dairy products and I've been intending to make butter for some time now. I've also been intending to post on our awesome discovery of a source for fresh milk... that may be a future blog entry but for now, the butter will have to do.

2 comments:

Geezer said...

I liked the old-fashioned way. When I was a young boy about Sully's age, the farm where my father was raised had a cradle churn, which I was put to work rocking to make butter whenever I visited in the summers. It was quite a good-sized wooden bucket, shaped like a cradle or horse-drawn sled and mounted on 4 swinging spindles, with a handle-bar arrangement at one end that you used to rock it back and forth. As I recall, the top of the cradle was about at the level of my chest at the time. After the butter was set, one had the reward of fresh, foamy buttermilk, which tasted a hundred times better than the ersatz stuff they sell in cartons these days. Plain kefir from the health-food store tastes a bit more like the real thing.

Stephanie Appleton said...

oh yum! How lucky to have a fresh source!