Saturday, July 21, 2007

Belgian Malinois?



My super-sleuth son Sully (I must be into alliteration lately) figured out after studying the dog breed poster at obedience school that Duke is not a German Shepherd mix but what we believe to be a Belgian Malinois (MAL-in-wah). He sure looks like one especially when compared photo to photo with a German Shepherd. And he seems to fit the temperament description- one website calls them Mali-nuts because of their sometimes obnoxious behavior... that's definitely our dog!

Speaking of obedience training...
My high expectations were almost dashed about 30 seconds after walking into the training center last week when "devil-dog" showed up- that's Duke's alternate personality. He gets a little excited with the prospect of playing with other dogs and when faced with around 15-20 dogs, he was beyond wild. In no time, I was standing there bleeding from the gashes in my arm caused by his behavior. Okay, they were really just scratches and I now know he needs his nails cut but we were very close to turning around and walking out with no training. Luckily he calmed down enough for me to pull him out of the corner and into the ring. After so much difficulty with him, I was thrilled to find out that a class requirement is to maintain the same trainer for the duration of the 8 week course. Actually it's probably good for me to be the one "in control" because he already seems to listen to Kevin better that to me. Once in the ring, however, he completely redeemed himself, which seems to be another pattern with him. He is a dog made for training! After what I'll call "the episode" he got down to business and was heeling like a pro! Next week I'll just wear long sleeves!

Here he is playing with the toys sent home for him today.

No comments: