Thursday, June 7, 2007

Yummy Brunswick Stew

I'm posting a low fat recipe for the recipe swap over at Tales from the Scales where I'm participating in the Weight Loss Challenge.

I'm not sure if this counts as traditional Brunswick Stew but it's really yummy and easy! I'm also guessing on the ingredient amounts as I've adapted this from different recipes and use the eyeball method here.

Chicken Broth -homemade or canned (to cover 1 inch above ingredients)
2-3 Chicken Breasts (cooked and cubed) -leftover chicken works well too
1/2 bag frozen corn kernels
1/2 bag frozen cut okra
1/2 onion chopped
bay leaf
1/4 tsp thyme
1 can petite diced tomatoes juice and all
1/4-1/2 cup katsup (or substitute tomato paste)
salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in a stockpot bring to a low boil then turn down heat and simmer, covered on med-low for about an hour. This soup gets better the longer the flavors are allowed to meld.
Other Brunswick Stew I've had includes lima beans but I'm not a big fan. If you like lima beans, however, you could bulk this up by adding a small package of frozen beans.

1 comment:

Girl Gone Wild - BibleStyle said...

Oh yum!! I have been fixing a Brunswick Stew for awhile, but mine does not include okra. Man, I have been missing out! I'll be fixing that. Thanks!