Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Easter Past and New Traditions

Dragging Easter out as far as I possibly can but here's the post I started last week...
I'm going to attempt to post a couple of photos of the boys coloring eggs as well as diving into Easter baskets. I wasn't having much luck getting these up right after Easter so hopefully today will be better.


Here are the shirtless boys, fascinated with the shrink-wrap eggs. (We thought dyeing done, sans shirts, would prevent any ruined clothing.)




Our Easter tradition in years past was to spend the weekend in Boca like we did last year and we'd discussed going down this year, even if we were unable to spend it with Granny. With Kevin's new schedule and the hectic pace of life lately, we decided to Easter in town and attend a sunrise service at the beach. While we had a nice, albeit quiet, Easter Sunday, I don't think that we've found our new tradition. If you'll notice the extreme lack of sunshine pouring through our windows, you'll see one reason we've opted against the sunrise service next year.
The boys' baskets, as always were filled to the brim.


Sully enjoying Easter morning...






Nathan enjoying Easter morning...







Duke, who was overly interested in the goings on, enjoying Easter morning...




He tried from both sides of the table.



Maybe it's that I'm resisting change and missing Easters past but this year seemed melancholic. I not only missed our recent Easter's but I waxed nostalgic for the Easters of my childhood.
A basket full of treats, a new Easter dress complete with gloves, dogwood flowers and daffodils from our yard and walking to church.
We attended the church on the corner whose steps, when I was small, seemed to reach the sky. After ascending, we were greeted by a bare cross waiting for flowers. After the last parishioner had come in, the cross looked something like this one. These are the types of memories I hope to pass on to my children. Traditions. Ours are changing, as life is changing, which is appropriate but for this year at least, I had a hard time letting go, moving forward and enjoying the ride.

No comments: