Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Royal "We" and My New Favorite Pen

I love the new Sharpie pen!! They offered one as a bonus in a package of Sharpie markers that we recently found on sale at Target. Nathan was asking why we were buying so many markers and I told him it was because we use them all the time. He then informed me that "he" didn't really use them that much... which is true- it is a special day indeed when they are allowed to use "our" Sharpies. I suppose I must have been speaking of "we" in the royal sense, because "I" use them almost daily.


This reminded me of a quote recently in a newsletter I received from Sonlight...

My son told me that there are three uses for the word "we."

In normal usage, we means you and I. Then there's the royal we which kings use to mean I. Last is the maternal we which means you, as in "We need to clean your room."


LOL! The maternal "we" is my favorite one.

No comments: